Karl grew up in University Place. His father retired from the Air Force and opened a small business in Tacoma on 6th Avenue. His mother was faculty at Fort Steilacoom Community College. His wife Dannah is an academic advisor at UW Tacoma. They met at Curtis High and after college they moved back to University Place where they raised their two children, Owen and Sienna.
Karl has been working hard for Pierce County residents as a Judge Pro Tem for the past 22 years. Judges are an integral part of the Justice System and Pierce County deserves the best. Karl is rated “Exceptionally Well Qualified” by the Tacoma Pierce County Bar Association, the Washington Women’s Lawyers Association and the Pierce County Minority Bar Association.
Karl has a proven record of public safety, community service and protecting the rights of victims. Karl’s first obligation will be to keep the public safe. Although jail time can be a powerful deterrent, jail alone is not going to address issues such as addiction or mental health. Karl will also help defendants realize the changes they need to make and provide them with incentive to change. The law is not stagnant it is constantly evolving. Pierce County needs a judge who has the experience to manage an active District Court caseload.
Karl has a strong commitment to his community, volunteering for several youth mentoring programs in Pierce County.
- Youth Protection Officer for Rotary International District 5020
- Facilitator for Pierce County Minority Bar Association Youth and Law Forum
- Volunteered as a coach with Metro parks, Pierce County parks, University Place parks and the Boys & Girls Club of Pierce County
- Tutored in the Werlin Reading Program working with disadvantaged youth in the 4th and 5th grades in the Tacoma School district
- Worked with the University Place Youth Court as a volunteer Judge
- Volunteered with the YMCA Black Achievers Mock Trial program.
Karl’s dedication to the citizens of Pierce County is not limited to youth outreach; he also worked with My Service Mind, which provided free legal advice to low income and minority communities.
Karl is also an active member of many community groups and organizations including, the Tacoma Narrows Rotary Board, the NAACP and the Tacoma-Pierce County Black Collective. Karl has been a member of Allen AME Church since his youth.